Glossary - Thai Delicacy Reveals in the Land of Smiles
1. Ajard (Achat) - a mixture of cucumber, shallot, chili in vinegar, served with satay.
2. Aor Suan (O-suan) - Fresh oysters cooked in translucent batter with egg, served hot, soft and glutinous.
3. Bai Kaphrao - holy Basil leaves.
4. Bai Makrut - kaffir lime leaves.
5. Bamee - fine egg noodles.
6. Bua Loi Mapraw On - Thai dessert of dumplings served with slices of young coconut meat in sweet coconut milk.
7. Chao Kuai - Black grass jelly, a traditional Chinese herbal dessert.
8. Hoe Mok - Steamed curried fish in a banana-leaf cup.
9. Hoi Malaengphu - green mussel
10. Hoi Nangrom - Oyster
11. Hoi Tod (Hoi Thot) - crispy pan-fried oyster or mussel pancakes.
12. Hom Daeng - shallots
13. Ice cream Kathi (Ai-sakrim Kathi) - Coconut milk ice cream.
14. Jok (Chok) - rice congee.
15. Kaeng Chuet - clear soup
16. Kaeng Khiao Wan - green curry
17. Kaeng Liang - spicy mixed-vegetable and prawn soup.
18. Kaeng Matsaman - chicken/beef curry with potato/spicy Muslim curry
19. Kai - Chicken
20. Kao Lao meat soup without noodles
21. Kapi - Shrimp paste
22. Kathi/Nam Kathi - coconut milk.
23. Kha - Galagal
24. Khai Chiao - Thai-style omelet
25. Khao - rice
26. Kanom Jeeb (Kanom Chip) - Steamed dumplings in wonton wrappers
27. Kanom Jeen (Kanom Chin) - fermented rice noodles
28. Khao Niao - Sticky rice
29. Khao Niao Mun - Steamed sticky rice with sweet coconut milk.
30. Krok Kap Sak - Mortar and Pastle
31. Kiao - Wonton or dumpling
32. Krathiam - garlic
33. Kui Chai - Chinese chive dumplings, also made with taro and bamboo shoot fillings.
34. Larb (Lap) - Isan/Northeast-style spicy minced-chicken/beef/pork salad.
35. Lod Chong (Lot Chong) - a Thai dessert of green noodles in sweet coconut milk.
36. Look Chin (Luk Chin) - Meat Balls
37. Luak Chim - blanched meat with spicy dip.
38. Man Kung - prawn fat
39. Moo (Mu) - pork
40. Nam Jim (Nam Chim) - sauce/dip.
41. Nam Jim Jaew (Nam Chim Chaeo) - Isan/Northeast-style spicy sauce.
42. Nam Jim Kai (Nam Chim Kai) - sweet and sour sauce.
43. Nam Jim Seafood (Nam Chim Sifut) - spicy and sour sauce/ seafood dip.
44. Nam Manao - lime juice.
45. Nam Phrik - Chili Paste.
46. Nam Phrik Kapi - spicy shrimp paste sauce.
47. Nam Phrik Phao - roast chili Paste
48. Nam Pla - fish sauce
49. Namtok - Isan/Northeast-style spicy sliced-pork/beef salad
50. Nuea - beef, and a generic term for meat
51. Pa Thong Kho - deep-fried dough.
52. Ped (Pet) - duck
53. Phad Phak (Phat Phak) - stir-fried vegetable.
54. Phad Thai (Phat Thai) - stir fried noodles with dried shrimp, yellow tofu, ,and lime juice, served with Chinese chives, banana blossom, and bean sprouts.
55. Phad See Ew (Phat Si-io) - stir fried noodles with soy sauce.
56. Phalo - a brown soup of five spices with pork, hard-boiled egg, or tofu.
57. Phanaeng/Kaeng Phanaeng - dry chicken/pork and peanut curry.
58. Pla - fish
59. Pla Muek - squid
60. Pla Ra - fish fermented with salt.
61. Po Pia Sot - fresh spring rolls
62. Po Pia Thot - fried spring rolls
63. Pu - Crab
64. Rad Na (Rat Na)- stir-fried noodles with meat or seafood gravy.
65. Roti - Unleavened soft Indian flat round bread.
66. Salapao - steamed buns
67. Sangkhaya - coconut custard; a runny mixture is served with bread or Pa Thong Ko, a steamed hard one is served with Khao Niao Mun.
68. Sarim - a Thai dessert of mung bean threads served with sweet coconut milk and crushed ice.
69. Satay - meat marinated with spice and grilled on skewers.
70. Sen Lek - narrow rice noodles
71. Sen Mi - rice vermicelli
72. Sen Yai - wide rice noodles
73. Som Tum (Som Tam) - spicy papaya salad
74. Sriracha Sauce (Sot Sriracha) - Sriracha Panich chili Sauce
75. Suea Ronghai - grilled beef served with a spicy sauce.
76. Suki: Suki Haeng - vegetables stir-fried with glass noodles and meat or seafood, served with bean curd sauce; Suki Nam - vegetables and meat soup with glass noodle, and served with bean curd sauce
77. Tao Hu Yi - pickled bean curd.
78. Tao Jiew (Tao Chiao) - salted soya beans.
79. Tom Khlong - sour and spicy smoked-fish soup.
80. Tom Mara - bitter cucumber soup.
81. Tom Saep - Isan/Northeast-style spicy soup.
82. Tom Yum - hot and sour soup.
83. Tubtim Krob (Thapthim Krop) - mock pomegranate seeds/coated water chestnut dices in sweet coconut milk.
84. Wun - jelly/gelatin/agar.
85. Wun Sen - glass noodles.
86. Yentafo - noodle soup with tomato or pickled bean curd sauce.
87. Yum (Yam) - spicy salad